Regular exercise and physical activity are good for your overall health. Exercise can benefit you in a number of ways, from improving your mood, sleep quality, and energy to improving blood circulation, toning muscles, and enhancing flexibility. The benefits of exercise are hard to ignore and everyone gets benefited from exercise, irrespective of age, sex, or physical ability.
Exercise can also help you to reduce your breast size naturally.
Women with perfectly round and firm breasts are more attractive and look more confident. On contrary, larger breast size is known to cause many problems in women such as low quality of life, body dissatisfaction, depression, neck and back pain.
Although, commonly the size of the breast depends on factors such as family history, age, hormones, and weight, sometimes only in a couple of hundred cases large breasts can be the result of gigantomastia, a rare condition that causes excessive growth of the female breasts.
If you are a woman who is dealing with large breasts and trying to reduce your breast size, choosing the right exercise to reduce breast size should be your aim.
How Exercises can Reduce Breast Size?
A woman’s breast is made up of fatty, fibrous, and glandular tissue in which fatty tissue largely determines the shape and size of the breast. (Source – 1)
As you exercise your body experiences a change in body fat percentage, as a result, causing fat cells to shrink. Because your breasts largely contain fat they are likely to reduce in size.
Exercise can also help you to lose chest fat and strengthen the muscles underneath your breasts. Pectoral muscles lie underneath your breast tissue, when you strengthen this muscle it may be possible to alter the size of the breasts.
Exercises such as push-ups, chest press, and chest fly can increase muscle mass in the pectoral area and can slightly increase your chest circumference. As a result, you might experience a lift in your breast and a reduction in breast size.
Here are the Exercises to Reduce Breast Size at Home
1. Knee Push-Up
The knee push-up is an upper body exercise that strengthens the chest muscle. This exercise targets your chest muscle and fat around your chest.
How to Do a Knee Push-Up
- Place your knees on the floor, and the hands shoulder-width apart. Keep your head, neck, and hip in a straight line.
- Now cross your legs and while inhaling bend your elbows until your chest is about to touch the floor.
- Pause and while exhaling push back to the starting position by straightening your arms.
- Finish the movement by squeezing your chest.
- In the beginning, perform 2 – 3 sets of 10 – 12 repetitions and gradually increase your sets and repetitions.
When to Avoid a Knee Push-Up
Avoid practicing knee push-up exercises if you have a shoulder, wrist, knee, or elbow injury.
2. Dumbbell Chest Press
This exercise helps you to reduce your breast size by losing fat from the breast and strengthening the pectoral muscles.
How to Do a Dumbbell Chest Press
- Take dumbbells on both hands and lie flat on your back on the floor, or on a bench.
- Keep your knees bent and feet flat on the ground.
- Now, bring the dumbbells above your shoulders. Keep your hands a little bent at the elbow and your lower back a little above the floor.
- While inhaling brings the dumbbells down by bending your elbow until your lower arm, elbow, and chest come in a straight line.
- While exhaling push the dumbbells up back to the starting position. Feel the weight of the dumbbells on your chest and the working of your chest muscle.
- Finish the movement by squeezing your shoulders. This is one rep.
- Perform 2 – 3 sets of 10 – 12 repetitions.
Mistakes to Avoid while a Dumbbell Chest Press
Do not lift too heavyweight so that you can maintain the proper line of movement. Not limiting the weight of dumbbells will make dumbbells collide and can increase the chances of injuring your shoulders.
3. Standing Chest Fly
The dumbbell chest fly exercise reduces the breast size by targeting the upper muscles of your breasts and strengthening them. This exercise is an excellent exercise to provide firmness and tightness to the breasts.
How to Do a Standing Chest Fly
- Take 1 dumbbell or 1 water bottle in each hand and stand straight keeping your legs shoulder-width apart.
- Start by bringing the hands up in front of you at the level of your chest height. Palms should be facing each other.
- Then while inhaling extend your arms to the sides as far as is comfortable.
- Pause for a second and while exhaling brings the hands to the starting position. Keep your hands at chest level and a slight bend in your elbows the entire time.
- Perform 2 – 3 sets of 10 – 12 repetitions.
Mistakes to Avoid while a Standing Chest Fly
While performing standing chest fly keep your back straight throughout, don’t arch your back. Also, don’t let your elbow drop below the chest level, otherwise, you could injure your shoulders.
4. Dumbbell Pullover
Dumbbell pullover exercise hits on pectoral and lat muscles to provide you with a well-rounded upper look.
How to Do a Dumbbell Pullover
- Take a dumbbell of moderate weight and lie flat on a table. Keep your shoulder, back, and neck on the table.
- Slide back to bring your head a little outward to the bench.
- Now, hold the dumbbell with both hands and extend your arms toward the ceiling. Keep the dumbbell perpendicular to your chest.
- Bend your elbow a little and while inhaling lower the weight slowly in an arc behind your head. The movement should be so slow that 3 to 4 seconds should pass for the weights to reach behind your head.
- While exhaling return the weights back over your chest.
- Perform 2 – 3 sets of 7 – 10 repetitions.
Mistakes to Avoid while a Dumbbell Pullover
When you start lowering the weight behind your head, keep your core engaged. If you are not engaging your core you might end up arching your back which may injure your back. Besides, avoid this exercise if you have shoulder immobility.
5. Wall Press
The wall press exercise is an easy exercise to reduce breast size by targeting the pectoral muscles. This exercise also helps to reduce fat from the breast and armpit.
How to Do a Wall Press
- Stand in front of the wall arm’s length away from the wall.
- Place your palms on the wall at shoulder height, slightly wider than your shoulders. Keep your fingers pointing at the ceiling.
- Now, engage your core, and while inhaling slowly bend your elbow to lean your body towards the wall until your nose is slightly away from the wall.
- Then, exhale and push back to the starting position by straightening your elbows. Finish by squeezing your chest.
- Keep your back straight the entire time.
- Perform 2 – 3 sets of 10 – 15 repetitions.
Mistakes to Avoid while a Wall Press
The most common mistake a performer does while practicing this exercise is bending the elbows too out wide. The position of the elbows and hands is crucial in this exercise. When you lean towards the wall your elbows should be tucked in slightly and your upper arms should be making an angle of 45 degrees to the body.
6. Lateral Plank Walk
This exercise reduces breast size by targeting multiple muscles at once. It strengthens your core as well as upper and lower muscles such as pectorals, deltoids, biceps, triceps, obliques, hamstrings, glutes etc.
How to Do a Lateral Plank Walk
- Start in a push-up position with your palms flat on the floor and your hands should be shoulder-width apart. Keep your body in a straight line from your shoulders to your toes.
- Now, step your left foot and left hand simultaneously to your left by one-half to one foot. Then step your right foot and right hand to the left so that you are back in a push-up position.
- Repeat the same amount move in the opposite direction. This is your 1 rep.
- Do 10 – 12 reps of 2 – 3 sets and gradually increase the reps as you gain strength.
Mistakes to Avoid while a Lateral Plank Walk
The most common mistake people make while performing lateral plank walk is letting their hip drop and bending their knees. Dropping hip or bending knees can lead to additional strain on the shoulders, wrists, and neck. Instead, keeping the hips and knees in line with the shoulders is the correct posture for performing this exercise.
7. Leg Lift
The leg lift exercise is effective in toning and strengthening abdominal muscles and improves the sagging of breasts.
How to Do a Leg Lift
- Lie flat on your back with your legs extended and your arms on the floor by your sides.
- Now, exhale and lift both your legs up while keeping them together to make a 90 degree with the body.
- Inhale and slowly lower them back by pressing lower back on the floor.
- Do a set of 15 – 20 repetitions and gradually increase the reps as you gain strength.
Mistakes to Avoid while a Leg Lift
The most common mistake of leg lift is arching the lower back. This makes to get more pressure on the back which can allow this exercise less effective to reduce your breast size. Make sure your back is straight and completely lie on the floor while performing this exercise.
8. Up and Down Plank
This exercise helps you to reduce breast size by engaging your chest, core, arms, and shoulders muscles.
How to Do an Up and Down Plank
- Start in a push-up position with your wrists under your shoulders and your feet hip-width apart.
- Now, while inhaling lower your right elbow to the mat and then your left elbow, coming into a plank position.
- Then while exhaling put your right hand on the mat, straighten your right arm and then place your left hand on the mat and straighten your left arm, coming into a push-up position.
- Do 8 – 10 reps of 2 – 3 sets and gradually increase the reps as you gain strength.
Mistakes to Avoid While an Up and Down Plank
The most common mistake people do is dropping their lower back and head. Focus on keeping hips, back, and head come in a straight line.
9. Dumbbell Squeeze Press
The dumbbell squeeze press exercise reduces breast size by working on the chest muscle and lining of your breast. Alternatively, you can perform this exercise by using a water bottle instead of a dumbbell.
How to Do a Dumbbell Squeeze Press
- Take a dumbbell or a water bottle and lie flat on the floor.
- Bend your knees to keep the bottom of your feet flat on the floor.
- Now, hold the dumbbell or water bottle with both hands and bring it just above and parallel to your chest.
- Exhale and push up the weight by straightening your hands. Squeeze your chest as you extend your hands completely.
- Then while inhaling bring back the weight towards your chest.
- Do 10 – 15 reps of 2 – 3 sets.
Mistakes to Avoid While a Dumbbell Squeeze Press
Do not let your back arch too much while doing the dumbbell squeeze press. Doing so you will end up putting more pressure on your deltoids and less pressure on your chest which will make this exercise painful and less effective.
10. Cardio Exercises
Cardiovascular or cardio exercises which include jogging, bicycling, walking, swimming, and aerobics, are the exercises that increase heart and breathing rate. They are known to increase metabolism and are very effective in burning calories. They can reduce your breast size by losing fat from your breasts and can provide a firm breast.
11. Yoga Asanas
Yoga asanas are the simplest and most effective exercise to reduce breast size. The combination of stretching and breathing in yoga can help you to burn calories, ultimately reducing your breast size.
Some of the yoga exercises to reduce breast size are:
12. Jumping Jacks
Jumping jacks are a form of plyometrics, a type of exercise training in which muscles exert maximum force in short intervals of time. Jumping jacks are beneficial for reducing your breast size because they combine cardiovascular conditioning with strength work.
How to Do Jumping Jacks
- Stand up straight with your hands at your sides and legs together.
- Now, while exhaling jump and spread your legs hip-width apart and simultaneously extend your arms overhead.
- Inhale and jump again and return to the starting point.
- Do 8 – 12 reps of 2 – 3 sets
Mistakes to Avoid While Jumping Jacks
Do not bend your knees while performing this exercise, otherwise, you will end up injuring your knees.
13. Anterior Front Raise
It is an isolation exercise to provide strength and definition to the front and sides of your shoulders. This exercise can help you to reduce breast size by strengthening the shoulder and upper chest muscles.
How to Do an Anterior Front Raise
- Take a pair of dumbbells or water bottles and stand straight while keeping your feet hip-width apart.
- Bring the dumbbells or water bottles in front of the thighs and draw your shoulders down in the back.
- Now while exhaling slowly lift the dumbbells or water bottles to shoulder height. Keep your arms extended, palms facing down, with a slight bend in the elbows.
- While inhaling lower the dumbbells or water bottles to the starting position in a slow and controlled motion.
- Engage your core the entire time of motion.
- Do 10 – 12 reps of 2 – 3 sets.
Mistakes to Avoid While an Anterior Front Raise
Do not raise your arms higher than the shoulders height, keep them parallel to the floor. Do not jerk or force your movements, instead use a comfortable weight to maintain a controlled and proper movement.
How Much Should You Exercise to Reduce Breast Size?
For reducing breast size you must do physical activity every day. The more you will do the more will be beneficial for your breast reduction.
According to the WHO recommendations, an adult should perform
- At least 150–300 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity per week.
- Or at least 75–150 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity per week.
- Or an equivalent combination of the two.
You can also use this tool to estimate how much physical activity you need to perform per day.
Here are some tips which can be useful for you while performing exercises to reduce breast size:
- Wear a fitted sports bra with enough support to avoid discomfort during the exercise.
- Good form and positioning is the key if you want to get the most from your workout.
- Track your progress to keep yourself motivated.
- To speed up recovery and avoid injury, warm-up and cool down properly.
- Along with practicing exercises to reduce breast size, follow a healthy lifestyle and eat a balanced diet to provide essential nutrients to the body.